June 14–Mr. Muhaqiq of the Wahdat-Junbish Alliance, that announced to support Karzai in the Presidential Race 2009 , on Friday in a public gathering in West Kabul highlighted some of the major points of the deal with Karzai. Though he did not discuss all, here HTimes is publishing some major points;
- Jaghoori and Behsood be Declared Provinces (two Hazara-residing districts in Ghazni and Maidan provinces). Hazaras have been demanding these districts be declared provinces since long ago. For this, the parliament needs to approve as per the Local Governance Rules, where Province or District Administration Setup is declared as per population and other criteria
- Second Vice President Be a Hazara Karzai has already selected Mr. Khalili, a Hazara, as his Vice President
- Hazara Representation Be Declared 25% and Uzbek 15% Officially
- Five Cabinet Ministries on Wahdat’s Recommendation
- Four Cabinet Ministries on Junbish’s Recommendation
- Balanced Development, Reconstruction and Distribution of Funds to all Provinces
- The Highway from Kabul to Herat through Bamyan and Daikundi be Constructed
- Governors of some Provinces, Heads of some Districts be Appointed on Wahdat-Junbish Alliance’s Recommendation
- Kuchi Issue Be Resolved Perminently as Per the Constitution
- State Promotion of Turko-Mongol Languages and Culture
The above are some of the major points of the deal between Karzai and Wahdat-Junbish Alliance.
The Alliance will campaign for Karzai, use their media sources for Karzai’s reelection. Wahdat and Junbish MPs in parliament will support the Government.
Leader of Hizb-e-Wahdat, Mr. Muhaqiq in the previous Presidential elections of 2004 could score 11% out of total votes while Junbish leader, General Dostum could secure about 10 % of total votes. Its the Alliance will pour 20-25% of total votes in ballots for Karzai.
Addressing the gathering in West Kabul, Mr. Muhaqiq said their Alliance took the demands to all presidential candidates and finally came to an understanding with Karzai. He added, if Karzai reelected with their votes, the Alliance will keep reminding him of his committment to Hazara and Uzbek rights that have been opressed throughout centuries in this country.
Its worth mentioning, General Dostum’s reinstatement as Chief of Army Staff was the first move by Karzai after the Wahdat-Junbish Alliance announced its support to him.